Markstein is seeking a design-focused Assistant/Associate Art Director with 3 to 5 years of art direction experience to join our Birmingham, Alabama-based team. Our ideal candidate is a positive, creative individual with the ability to work across multiple platforms to create compelling visual materials that tell our clients’ brand stories in a way that supports strategic communications objectives.
The candidate must be a strategic, independent, self-motivated creative professional, capable of adapting quickly in a fast-paced environment. This is an active hands-on role that requires someone who can solve complex challenges through on-target creative. The candidate should have excellent communication skills and be able to articulate his/her ideas among team members and to executives. A developed sense of design that bridges multiple styles and impeccable attention to detail are required.
What is it like to be a designer/art director at Markstein?
You will have the opportunity to create high caliber creative ranging from branding, packaging, web, print, digital and video projects. Our team is focused on delivering solutions for our clients that truly solve their problems vs. finding band-aid solutions. As a designer/art director you will have the chance to take ownership of your projects and work with a highly motivated team to bring the best solutions to the table.
You will have the opportunity to shape your future here as well. Markstein not only supports creative development but encourages it. From weekly creative “fuel” meetings to a wide stable of client types, opportunities to become better at your craft abound.
The design team partners with all departments, allowing others to bring useful insights into our brainstorms and ultimately our solutions. Everyone has a voice.
Agency experience is preferred but not required. All applicants must have a strong track record of bringing creative ideas to the table and will be asked to execute their ideas from start to finish. Experience in animation and/or video production is a bonus. Applicants should provide a portfolio of their work (preferably a website) and may be asked to explain how they arrived to a creative solution in their portfolio.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field
- Experience in art direction for a design studio, agency, or in-house creative department
- Expert level skills in Adobe Creative Suite
- Print, digital and UX experience preferred
- Comfortable in a variety of mediums
- Experience in print production
- Comfortable with a broad range of design aesthetics
- Understands the role of design in an integrated communications strategy
- Highly detail-oriented and well organized, able to balance and prioritize multiple projects in a fast – paced environment with tight deadlines
- Takes ownership of projects from beginning to end and manages time effectively
- Thrives in an energetic, team environment; highly collaborative and collegial
- Thinks critically and conceptually
- Passionate about design, communication and client service
- Has a sense of humor
- Creatively implements consistent brand messaging and visual design executions across a wide variety of collateral and media including traditional and emerging media
- Leads concept and execution of customer-centered creative deliverables that support strategic business objectives
- Works on multiple concurrent projects and ensures that deadlines are met
- Building strong relationships and providing creative oversight as necessary on collaborative projects with other departments
- Confidently presents ideas and deliverables internally and to clients
- Monitors emerging trends in interactive technologies, content marketing, graphic design, user experience, etc.
- Works with vendors to procure estimates and manages project partners
- Inputs time daily
The Markstein team is currently working remotely. Exceptional candidates from geographies outside of our office footprint will be considered. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Markstein prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Markstein conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.