Media Relations Manager
Markstein, a fully integrated communications agency located in Birmingham, Ala., is seeking a media relations manager with 3-5 years of experience. The candidate must be a self-starter comfortable working on a team within a multi-faceted and fast-paced environment. The candidate must possess a strong working knowledge of media relations – creating media lists; media pitching; writing media materials; using AP Style; and reporting results. Our ideal candidate will have earned media experience at the local, regional, national and trade levels and public relations experience across multiple industries. Public relations agency experience preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in public relations and earned media
- Proven track record of securing media coverage locally and nationally
- Experience crafting targeted pitches that rise above the noise for reporters; comfortable pitching via email and phone
- Proven knowledge of building strong relationships with reporters/outlets
- Ability to build media lists for local, regional, national and trade outlets
- Knowledge of and ability to use Muck Rack or similar media software for monitoring and building media lists
- Experience crafting press releases, media advisories, media statements, interview briefing sheets, etc.
- Experience facilitating interviews between reporters and clients via phone, email, Zoom or broadcast
- Experience obtaining press coverage for events and managing media members at events, press conferences, etc.
- Ability to stay up-to-date on different client industries, keenly aware of important topics and issues for each
- Ability to craft short- and long-form content (quotes, releases, statements, blogs, etc.) in various clients’ voices
- Creative thinking to tie national trends to clients and pitch angles
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Outstanding presentation skills
- Self-motivated go-getter with a positive attitude
- Exhibits strong attention to detail and organization
- Deadline-oriented and shows initiative in taking on new tasks and projects
- Able to seek out information and problem-solve
- Serves as a team player who demonstrates a commitment to excellence and ensuring client satisfaction
- Work with account management to craft media relations strategies, advising on best tactics, timing, etc.
- Pitch media (via email and by phone) and build relationships with reporters
- Build media lists and craft pitches
- Facilitate media interviews, coordinating clients and reporters
- Write and distribute communications materials including press releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, bios, newsletters, prepared remarks, etc.
- Monitor for media coverage and deliver client-ready media coverage reports
- Draft organic content for clients to support integrated public relations campaign
- Monitor each client’s business and industry
- Identify and secure corporate and executive positioning opportunities
- Organize and manage media events and client promotions
- Represent clients at events or trade shows
- Compile and analyze research data
- Assist in the research and preparation for new business pitches
Job Type: Full-time, Hybrid/Remote
Markstein team members have the flexibility to either work in the home office in Birmingham, Alabama, remote or hybrid. Exceptional candidates from geographies outside of our office footprint will be considered. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Markstein prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Markstein conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.